I came across this statistics-packed document from the Federal government recently, and honestly, even though Roommates4Boomers is all about Boomer women and living/lifestyles, what I read made my jaw drop, more than once. Here are some of the most eye-opening stats:
- Women over 65 outnumber men at 23.4 million women to 17.9 million men.
- Men over 65 were much more likely to be married than women–72% of men vs. 45% of women.
- 37% of older women in 2012 were widows.
- About 28% (11.8 million) of non-institutionalized older persons live alone; over twice as many women as men (8.4 million women, 3.5 million men).
- Almost half of women (46%) age 75+ live alone.
- In 2011 men over 65 had more than double the median income of women in the same age group: $27,707 for males and $15,362 for females.
- Social Security constituted 90% or more of the income received by 46% of non-married beneficiaries – far more women than men.
- In 2011, there were of 131 women for every 100 men over age 65. At age 85 and over, this ratio increases to 203 women for every 100 men.
All of the above information was taken from A Profile of Older Americans: 2012, compiled by the Administration on Aging & Administration for Community Living, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.